Tuesday 8 August 2017

Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde









I cannot go wrong with Mexican food in my house.  No matter what form it takes, it's always a winner.  It's my go-to when I'm racking my brains to figure out what's for dinner.  Some days I spend hours (I mean, hours) flicking through my cookbooks (and I have mountains of them), magazines (same) the inter-web and staring into my pantry for inspiration, but still come up empty-brained... I mean, empty-handed.  Like most mums, I have to juggle time, availability, the needs and wants of a family (who have varying likes and dislikes!) and still come up with a delicious, nutritious meal that everyone with gormandise.  Yay for Mexican food.  It ticks all the boxes... the kid who doesn't like meat, will happily scoff a chicken enchilada or five, and the kid who doesn't like greens is a salsa-verde-aholic.  Winning.


Chicken Enchiladas with Salsa Verde
slightly adapted from here
Serves 4

For the Sauce:
1 x 800g can of tomatillos, drained but reserve ½ cup of the liquid (I buy mine online from here)
2 cloves garlic
2 long green chillies
1 cup coriander leaves, plus extra for garnish
¼ cup white salad onion, roughly chopped
1 teaspoon sea salt flakes
1 tablespoon sunflower oil

For the Enchiladas:

2 cups cooked chicken, shredded
¼ cup white salad onion, roughly chopped, plus an extra ¼ cup for garnish
½ cup feta cheese, crumbled, plus an extra ¼ cup for garnish
Sunflower oil for frying the tortillas

12 corn tortillas
½ cup thickened cream


Make the Sauce:
Place all the sauce ingredients except the oil, into a blender and puree until smooth.  Pour 1 tablespoon of oil into a medium saucepan and heat over medium-high heat.  Pour the sauce in and bring it to a simmer.  Simmer for about 5 minutes, or until it thickens and gets a little darker in colour. Check the nonseasonal and adjust if necessary.  Set aside.

Make the Enchiladas:
Pour enough oil into a large pan so that it is about 1 cm deep.  Heat over high heat.  Gently dip the tortilla into the oil, submerging them in the oil for about 15 second.  Remove and drain on kitchen paper.  Pile them on a plate and cover with another plate so that they soften in the gentle steam they will generate.

Preheat the oven to 180C.

Put the chicken, ¼ cup onion, ½ cup feta in a bowl and mix.  Lay the tortillas out and divide the chicken mixture evenly between them.  Roll them up and place them, seam side down on a baking dish.  Pour the green sauce over and bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, until hot.  Sprinkle with the remaining onion and cheese, drizzle with the cream and finish with extra chopped coriander.


1 comment:

  1. Love Mexican food too! If I would listen to my family, it would always be that on the table hihi! Salsa verde, I should use it more!! Love your enchiladas :D

    ReplyDelete